Sunday, 19 April 2009

Climate Change

Why oh why is Wogan's World comment in the Sunday Telegraph so difficult to link to? Probably because his 'tongue-in-cheek' views are not 'a-la-government', which is what the ToryGraph (or should that read LabourGraph?) appears to have become. Writing today he says:

"A huge wind turbine stands proudly next to a brewery, at Junction 11 of the M4. Have a look next time you're passing, without taking your eyes off the road. And what's it doing there? Providing power to the brewery and adjoining enterprises, its mighty blades whirring in the favouring zephyers?

Well no, actually, the passing breeze is only strong enough to turn the blades 40 per cent of the time. For the remaining 60 per cent, the blades have to be powered by electricity, to prevent them from rusting and seizing up.....

Now, it appears that someone else has blundered with the figures. Digging up cereal crops that do irreparable damage to the environment by causing cattle to break wind and replacing them with trees may not be the best idea in the world, as burning wood will do the environment more harm than good.

Could it be that the calculations for the efficiency of wind turbines were done by the same numpty who worked out the benefit of wood-burning stoves? Surely the answer is solar power, with the blistering summers we're enjoying through global warming?"

Coupled with this is Christopher Booker's column today which includes some well-aimed 'barbs', as usual!

No comments: