Wednesday 4 November 2009

Dan Hannan Wants A Referendum


Dan Hannan goes slightly further. He says:

"We need a broad movement within the Conservative Party that will push for referendums, citizens’ initiatives and the rest of the paraphernalia of direct democracy. I don’t just mean a referendum on Europe - though, naturally, that is the obvious place to start. I mean full-on Helvetic people power, ..................I have returned to the back benches in order to concentrate on building such a movement.


Don’t misunderstand me: I voted for David Cameron as leader.............and I reckon he’d be a million times better than Gordon Brown as Prime Minister. One of his strengths is that, unlike Gordon Brown, he doesn’t mind people disagreeing with him. Well, then. This Conservative is for a referendum: a proper, deep-cleansing referendum that will settle whether our country remains subordinate, or becomes self-governing. Now who will stand on either hand and keep the bridge with me?" (my emphasis)

1 comment:

Sue said...

So, what exactly is he saying? I don't know.