Thursday 15 April 2010

A Police State?

From Henry Porter, writing in the Guardian:

"In a letter to the Financial Times, Sebastian Nokes, a climate change sceptic and businessman, said he was interviewed by an officer who "wanted to know what computer I used, my internet service provider, and also to which political parties I have belonged, what I feel about climate change and what my qualifications in climate science are. He questioned me at length about my political and scientific opinions."

So a sceptic of a particular belief can be asked questions by the police, like those above? Just because a Freedom of Information request has been made? To hold a belief that is not the same as that of the government of the day makes one a 'dissenter' and therefore 'suspect'?

Why have we. as a society, allowed this to happen? Where were those who we elect, supposedly to safeguard our freedoms, when this 'process' was made available to the police? 

Methinks we need to keep our politicians on a very, very short leash indeed!

No comments: