Monday 27 September 2010

Decisions, Decisions

Cathy Newman, on Factcheck Blog, posts on the imposition of cuts by local authorities to adult social care and ends by writing that elderly and disabled people will have to dig deeper into their pockets to fund their care.

This subject, as with that of surveillance which was discussed in my previous post, is one of divisiveness that will provoke serious debate when it becomes a 'national issue' - which it is not at present. Not that I do not have a vested interest, being one who might be described as elderly (what is elderly?) rather than how I would prefer to describe myself, namely someone who is 'weathering gradually' - but again, I digress........

Those readers who have a relative residing in a care home and see, as I do, men and women who daily, every day, sit and stare into space, not knowing where they are, or why; who cannot wash, dress themselves or perform any bodily function without assistance. If like me, when you leave your relative, I can understand you saying: 'God, if you exist, please do not let me end my life like that'.

To those who may not have an elderly relative with, for example, dementia or Alzheimer's; whose elderly relatives may still be 'hale and hearty' and able to still reside in their own homes - I would ask that you stop and think about the care of the elderly and disabled, those suffering with depression or alcohol problems, not necessarily of their own making; those elderly with no family to turn to; those elderly still able to look after themselves and living in retirement homes or sheltered housing - and ask yourself: do not we as a society have a duty to care for them, to make their final years as comfortable as possible whether they are aware of that or not? Should they not be provided with whatever is necessary to make their lives and the final years of their lives as peaceful and trouble free as possible? 

If cuts are to be made, then should not those cuts be made elsewhere - should not those who are able but do not wish to work, should not they be forced to accept 'cuts'? My apologies for introducing a political slant to this post, but when I consider the billions this country hands over to the EU; when I consider the billions we hand to quangocrats; when I consider the billions we hand to other countries in 'overseas aid, my blood boils in anger.

To those politicians who are content to cut aid to the elderly and disabled; who are content to give aid to other countries - should we not help 'our own' first? I would ask any politician one simple question: If they had a family member in need of financial assistance to ease their final years, who would they give that assistance to? Their family member or me, a total stranger? Are not our elderly our nations 'family members' and do we not owe them our help, first?

We all need to remember one important fact - we will all be 'elderly', eventually.We may, heaven forbid, become disabled - we know not what our future holds. Would you want your relative to 'suffer'? Will you want to 'suffer'?

Just another thought from WfW............................

No comments: