Friday 16 July 2010

The Long Arm Of The Law

The arm of the law could well grow even longer it seems with the introduction of the European investigation order, the imposition of which our Coalition has yet to make up it's mind.

From Hansard (column 1098):
"Mr Dominic Raab (Esher and Walton) (Con): The European investigation order would allow police and prosecutors throughout Europe to order British police to collect and hand over evidence. Fair Trials International and Justice are concerned that the measure would put great pressure on our hard-pressed police forces. Britain has until 28 July to decide whether to opt in or, like Denmark, to opt out. Will the Leader of the House indicate when the Government's decision will be made, and will the House have an opportunity to debate the measure in advance?
Sir George Young: I am grateful to my hon. Friend. He says that the Government must decide by 28 July what action to take. I will certainly ascertain from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or the Home Office, whichever Department is the appropriate one, what action they propose to take in response to my hon. Friend's question."
and Hansard (column 1101)
"Mr David Davis (Haltemprice and Howden) (Con): Will the Leader of the House reconsider his answer to my hon. Friend the Member for Esher and Walton (Mr Raab)? The European investigation order allows foreign authorities to give instructions to the British police and allows foreign police forces to operate within the United Kingdom. That is a matter for decision by the House of Commons, not simply for notification by a Department of state.
Sir George Young: I understand my right hon. Friend's concern. I think I said in response to my hon. Friend that I would contact the relevant Department and see what action the Government propose to take or recommend to the House before 28 July, which I understand is the operative date."
Well iDave, will you cede a little more of our authority? Yes or No?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clear from Youngs reply that i)he had absolutely no idea what was going on and
ii)he had absolutely no idea who had the responsibility of responding to the Commission.

Just a bit scary, isn't it?

Witterings from Witney said...

A, Young always was a bit slow on the uptake - lack of brain, methinks!