Monday 15 November 2010

If Only Magna Carta Was "Cherished"!

ePolitics reports that the anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta was launched a few days ago by the dynamic duo running the ministry of justice - Ken Clarke and Lord McNally.

Ken Clarke said:
"Magna Carta contains principles that "act as a guideline for governments, to ensure that we are heading in the right direction."
Mcally said:
"The promises Magna Carta contains are as important today as they were in 1215. We only need to watch the TV news, or read the newspapers, to know that even today they are still to be realised in many parts of the world. We should cherish that heritage and the freedom that the Magna Carta has given to us."
So how come if the principles encapsulated within Magna Carta are, indeed, a 'guideline to ensure we are heading in the right direction' have governments for almost 14 years now 'ignored the Magna Carta compass'? If the promises that Magna Carta contain are indeed as important today as they were in 1215, why have successive governments ignore said principles? Perhaps within the many parts of the world where the promises of Magna Carta are still to be realised should be added the name of Britain? 

We should indeed cherish the freedom that Magna Carta has given us - unfortunately government does not agree!


6 comments:

James Higham said...

Ken Clarke said:

"Magna Carta contains principles that "act as a guideline for governments, to ensure that we are heading in the right direction."

Clarke - the global marxist?

Captain Ranty said...

I think he chose his words carefully.

Yesterday I installed a lamp outside my office at home (so I can find my way back to the house when I am....under the weather) and it came with guidelines.

I didn't even glance at them.

Guidelines can be ignored.

MC1215 & 1297 did NOT result in Kings and Barons producing bloody "guidelines". They are called RIGHTS.

And rights can never be ignored.

CR.

Witterings from Witney said...

"MC1215 & 1297 did NOT result in Kings and Barons producing bloody "guidelines". They are called RIGHTS. And rights can never be ignored."

Thanks CR for making a point that I should have covered in my post. (stands in corner wearing conical hat stamped with letter 'D')

Captain Ranty said...

WfW,

Had you said it my comment would have been redundant.

And already I do not comment here as much as I ought to.

Your writing is brilliant.

I are green with envy, I are.

CR.

Witterings from Witney said...

CR, you really are too kind - even if on this occasion you are talking utter 'Eds'!

Woodsy42 said...

I like this only a guideline idea.